View Single Post
Old 10-18-2015, 08:58 PM   #3
JP3

Dojo: Wasabi Dojo
United_States
Re: aikido = self-defense??? or self-defense = aikido???

I don't have the mathematical symbol for "does not equal," you know, that equal sign with the slash through it, but I'd put it in place in the middle between Aikido -- Self-defense

But, that is not to mean that in practicing/performing aikido one can not be practicing/performing self-defense either. I see these as two overlapping, but not totally so, spheres or circles of actions/activities.

I started out way back with aikido (8 years old) and went away, into what I would define as hard-core "hurt the bad man" martial arts. Was I learning self-defense? Sure... was I effective? Depends on how you define it, I believe. Could I defend myself? Probably depends on the "bad man" or men, it might sometimes be said, eh?

But, now, I practice/perform & teach aikido... and in the doing, I try to keep an eye on the self-defense angle, as that not only stimulates the mind of most students, and grounds others in the fact that what they are doing is a "martial" art, it's not just dancing around feeling good - this stuff can and does hurt people.

So, overlapping circles.

I find it interesting that the kanji character for kuzushi illustrates a mountain falling on a house.