View Single Post
Old 09-29-2008, 03:56 PM   #12
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo
Re: Need some help choosing some more books?

Hi Professor,

"Aikido Online" was a mistake, the sections of translations are of course at Aikido Journal, sorry. I was thinking journal and somehow typed out online!

As for #2, I have a hard copy of an Aikido Journal with an interview with Mr. Takahashi in which he says that he travelled to Iwama about once a month and O'sensei dictated the book. If I remember correctly, he said that he was not allowed to record the talks and that made him nervous. He would bring what he had written down and O'sensei would look over it, making minor corrections. He does not say if O'sensei was aware or not that the final product would be a book. The sense he gives is that these were not speeches, public talks, instead that it was the two of them, O'sensei talking, Mr. Takahashi taking notes.

If you checked the aikidoonline site because of my post, sorry for the wild goose chase!

Professor,
Do you have further info on how Shinzui came about? I believe that I have read through your words as well as others that Arikawa Sensei was a big part of the newspaper section from which the book came. How accurately can we take it to reflect O'sensei's thought?

Thank you,
Charles