View Single Post
Old 07-29-2009, 01:07 PM   #379
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
United_States
Re: Is It Missing In Everybody's Aikido?

Quote:
Josh Phillipson wrote: View Post
Hi Rob,
Very interesting. Your descriptions were cool. Can I ask about it?

Do you think that big part of the aiki is literally a pressure manipulation in the body's hydraulic system (i.e. liquid pressure in muscles & tissues)? (I assume that ground path is the major conduit of force, driven by hara). How can nage protect (hide?) his own hara even while simultaneously driving the motion from there?

I always wondered, can aiki techniques (e.g. aiki-age) be done *extremely slowly* or is there an element of speed/timing that *must* be present? Assuming they can be executed slowly, are they then easier to counter, or do you find it is still 'immutable' or 'inexorable'? Do you still get the 'my ears are going up' feeling? Can you actually feel the pressure rising in the body? Or is that manifested differently? Do you find there is an ability (or way) to 'push back' against that rising feeling? Man! Sounds like ihtbf.

All of the above questions/views assume a lot, of course, and may be wrong..and hence unanswerable..

Cheers,
Josh
I really don't think aiki "is literally a pressure manipulation in the body's hydraulic system". It was just the best example I could come up with to describe that aspect of aiki done on me.

Of course you can attempt to use aiki against aiki.

The rest, I really think I'm far enough along to give a good enough answer. -Rob