View Single Post
Old 02-19-2011, 10:20 PM   #124
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Future of Aikido

Quote:
Alex Lawrence wrote: View Post
Yep. I've always felt that in Aikido I'm kinda left trying to figure a lot of things out for myself. I have my own vocabulary for describing different body movements I find in techniques. There's nothing in Aikido terminology that actually tells you what you're doing, it just describes an end state i.e shiho nage. But how do you get to shihonage? There's no way, that I know of, of describing techniques and what you actually need to do to perform them.
Actually, just to make a thumbnail response, every physical movement is, or should be, predictable in terms of optimal development. The whole qi/ki thing is extremely logical and comes from, hold your hat, the Yin-Yang dichotomy of body movements. If you look at the basic acupuncture diagram of the body, there is a Yang motion going up the back, in terms of normal direction and power, and there is a Yin motion coming down the front. Ack... there's no way to say this succinctly... but let me just say that I disregarded this logic early in my martial career as being superfluous, but I wound up having to go back and figure all of this out ultimately. Why is there never enough time to do things right the first time, but there's always enough time to re-do the job when you're forced to?

Anyway, there are two basic ways to move and wind the body in terms of optimal strength. This is called "natural movement". All movements can be viewed as derivative variations of these two basic movements. So, for instance, kokyu/jin works optimally in one best way for kokyu-ho dosa, but also the way you respond with wrist/arm twisting to aid the kokyu-ho has an optimal method, also. What I'm getting at is that when you boil it all down there is going to be an optimal response to an opponent's force using not only kokyu, but also body position, so something like shiho-nage, assuming it's an optimal response, should actually be deducible via the ancient cosmology. It's actually a lot more practical than it sounds.

2 cents.

Mike Sigman