View Single Post
Old 10-20-2000, 10:36 AM   #6
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
quick summary

1. attacked by someone about to therow a rock at me - all that boken training and miai came in handy and I moved in very rapidly and deflected the rock down (moving off centre line) and then did a strike to the face (very much in a jo tsuki style, don't ask me why). A bit scrappy after that, but prevented serious injury of both parties.

2. attacked by someone with a knife. Similar story, although I suffered a few superficial cuts.

3. I have a problem with seeing violoence, it makes me very perturbed. In a night club I saw a big muscly bruiser pushing people around to egg them on for a fight. Most people ignored him but this one bloke pushed him back. I could see this big punch coming from the original aggressor and slipped in between to do irimi nage (stange as it sounds - and again, it was just reaction). It was definately an irimi version of it but unfortunately this bruiser was against the wall so I ended up holding him against the wall. He then realised I was really a bit of a weed and pushed me backwards, at which point I did a reverse ukemi and the bouncers jumped on him & chucked him out. The bouncers were very friendly towards me and I got to stay.

4. Another interjection - down a night club and I saw this big bloke pushing someone across the floor, who had blood gushing from his face. I thought he was going to kill the bloke so I did a reverse choke from behind and dragged him back, only to realise that it was a bouncer (from the wire coming from his ear. I then realised that he had actually been splitting up a fight. I let ago immediately, apologising prefusely and holding my hands up passively. He took my wrist in a poor kote-gaeshi )(no movement, just the wrist) and led me out gently (which I obliged with - very civil).

5. I was the victim of an unprovoked attack by a bouncer who grabbed my throat from the front. It took a while to react but I pushed his chin backwards to remove him. Meanwhile his friend had grabbed my arm, and I did nikkyo on this next. I was then hoofed out by the weight of the bouncers that gathered round.

As an aside, I asked one of my instructors what was the best practical application of his aikido. He said some youths were verbally abusing him on this train, and when he got off they leapt off as well to try and beat him up. He moved quickly out of the way and they ran into this post which his body had obscured, knocking one of them to the ground (the rest did not follow).

Lessons I learnt:
-practise aikido until it becomes natural
-always apologise when you are in the wrong