View Single Post
Old 11-14-2011, 10:58 PM   #31
Janet Rosen

Re: why do people search outside Aikido for IS?

Davis, I accept your generalization based on your experience and want to say that you may take some flak from folks in aikido who, like me, ARE very open about getting out and exploring.
You note your experience happened many yrs ago. The good news is that there have been fresher breezes as it were since then...in the late 90s a bunch of aikido folks from different styles started getting together to train, starting to break down some old barriers. Then there were some big seminars with folks leading workshops from outside of aikido altogether. I know many aikido folks who either crosstrain seriously in a second art or have dabbled a bit for a finite time where they felt a specific skill was lacking or who simply get together with friends in other arts to play informally.
The bad news is that, yeah, there are still a lot of very parochial folks out there. Some are not so much narrow-minded in a bad way but just very contentedly narrow-focus and I don't think there is anything wrong with that.
Bottom line, yeah some dojo cultures still fit your description, but IME it's not as pervasive as in the past.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield