View Single Post
Old 08-05-2015, 12:46 PM   #8
RonRagusa
Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido
United_States
Re: No intention, center drives everything?

Quote:
Cliff Judge wrote: View Post
I wanted to point out that it look like you have a very dualistic mind/body conception of yourself - as most people do I think, and it certainly serves us well - and I just wanted to point out that what you perceive as a unity of body and mind, might actually be better described as a state where the body is unified, and the mind is out of the way.
Actually Cliff, I am of the opinion that mind/body duality is artificially imposed during one's formative years as a result of the conditioning I wrote about in my previous post. And it's necessary from a survival standpoint. We can't always be going around on autopilot; we need to be able to stop and think about stuff before we act (well sometimes anyway). So I wouldn't say that I have a dualistic mind/body conception of myself at all. I often find it convenient to refer to mind and body individually simply because it's easier to express concepts that way.

Quote:
Cliff Judge wrote: View Post
... whenever I read accounts from soldiers or athletes of being a true state of dynamic flow, they seem to talk about time slowing down, feeling calm, and sort of being detached, watching themselves perform the correct action spontaneously.
That's the state, coordinated mind/body, no longer mind and body... the result of training. We may be using different metaphors to explain it, but it's the state and the ability to achieve it that's important.

Ron