Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel
Re: Did I create a new counter?

Quote:
Shany Golan wrote: View Post
Amir Krause
"Guess I no longer remember that phase in which everything looked new":
I think you're thinking too linear when practicing aikido, that's not bad either, it's good if you're doing what being told over and over. after long period of years (u said u train equal or more than 9 years?)

I would start (on top the regular training) to think 'out of the box' and see what can be done with the basic tools set that you already own.
Shany,

As I wrote to you in my PM (about my experience in Aikido), I suspect we are at slightly different periods related to our learning. I have practiced most things so many times, when my Sensei pulls a "new" technique out of his hat, I find I remember it from his teaching it for several lessons a decade ago.

My view of "advanced techniques" is not the techniques we rarely do, but some technical variations we are doing frequently, yet I know those variations require exact timing or extremely high sensitivity to work on a non-cooperating Uke. Another thing I try to learn is to actually do things automatically, letting go and allowing the body to take the lead.

I have had my time of thinking "outside the box". Only to later realize, that at best I only rediscovered the wisdom my teacher was showing me in plain sight. This realization only grew, after I ventured to learn also with other teachers (and other M.A.) and have gained some experience.

Quote:
I love training randori like, where 3 persons on you and they are attacking, true its harder to come-up with advance techniques or fast moves when you're doing the same basics all over again and again each practice.
As I tried to imply, the common way for Randori (also called Kyoshi) in Korindo Aikido is different -- only two people, but each may do whatever he wishes, whenever he wishes:
Punches of all types are encouraged as the main attack type,
Kicks are welcome for advanced students who are willing to take the fall,
Counters and technical changes in a flow are expected above a certain level and allowed long before,
Only pure force resistance is discouraged, since it prohibits Uke from learning better solutions (be soft and counter) and does not teach one how to face a stronger person.

A Randori with multiple people attacking a single person is also practiced, though mostly at advanced levels (but not always). Again in these Randori, the common attacks are strikes and punches, and not grabs.

In both types of Randori, we would not expect a person of your experience to move fast. We would expect you to move out of the line of attack (at low to medium speed), and to be able to do some techniques, some of the times.

Quote:
that's why I said earlier, do a off-mat (after class) session with your friends, don't finish class and go home, stay around 15-30mins more with someone and have fun practicing and attacking.
I fondly remember the times in my life when I could and did such things, including going out to a picnic with a friend and practicing Buki (weapons - mostly Jo and BokKen, and Bo, though we have tried a few other things in which our knowledge is less extensive such as Kodachi, Nito and Naginata) Kata and Randori or coming an hour early to practice on my own, if only doing Tsubri, one side of a weapons Kata and some Tai-Sabaki.
These days, I often struggle just to arrive to practice on time, and I know that in a short while, even this would be a luxury (for a while, maybe even a couple of years). But, I know Aikido will always be a part of my life, and I will continue to practice, just like everything, else, the practice of Aikido in life has its own cycles.

Quote:
you're probably doing things automatically and look at aikido as a way to enjoy life, healthy and relax doing it, which is personally I think a good thing.
I practice because it is fun, even after all this time. I can still sense myself growing, developing and learning. I love it.

Quote:
Quote:
My previous technical remarks tried to explain the mistakes Uke did in his response, which have enabled the Keashi-Waza. After-all, had Uke done everything correctly and in a timely manner, it would have been impossible to reverse the situation.
Yes, this is true, i've had it too, my Sensei always had me check the positions of my hands for example if i've done shio-nage, that would not give the uke the oppertunity to perform kaeshi waza.
Keashi-Waza starts from an error on Uke part. When trying to analyze it, one must examine what actions on Uke side created which openings. Thus one learns to perform his basic techniques better, and pay attention to the details. It also teaches us of the flow of initiative, and how to control it.

Amir