View Single Post
Old 10-21-2008, 02:37 PM   #17
NagaBaba

Re: The HA in SHU-HA-RI

Quote:
Charles Hill wrote: View Post
My answer is yes, while keeping in mind "relational" is somewhat of a vague term. The word "break" is just right, methinks. A translation of HA/yaburu. Chiba Sensei has been mentioned. In his career, when was the high point of his HA stage? I venture to guess it was when he quit Aikido and came here to my new hometown of Mishima to do construction work. For O'sensei, perhaps the HA stage was in leaving Takeda and going on his own, and this leads to an interesting (for me anyway) idea.

You earlier defined HA in aikido as adapting technique and making it more fully one's own. If this were the case, I do not believe that break/destroy/tear is the right word to accurately express this. Yet I do think this is what O'sensei did. He "destroyed" what he learned from Takeda, but he adapted and made more fully his own what he learned from Onisaburo Deguchi. This is perhaps why he seems to not have subscribed to this shu, ha, ri idea for his aikido. Takeda is not the main influence on Ueshiba's aikido, Deguchi is!

Charles
I' would say, break can have two aspects: break with learned forms (to create the new ) or/and break existing relation with teacher (to create a new relation). One has to destroy old to build new dimension.

In both cases it is a process, i.e. for O sensei it took at least 5, may be 10 years to break with S.Takeda....
So this process take some time. Both, student and teacher must be very carefull with this process, for sure.

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo