View Single Post
Old 12-17-2014, 07:06 AM   #9
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States
Re: Over 40's Classes?

we have a number of middle age folk, 40+, who came to our dojo and asked if they could physically handle aikido. i told them, the hardest thing in aikido is walking through the door. They all laughed. Few made it back. i guessed walking-through-the-door waza is pretty hard on folks.

some of the discourage points:
- they believed they could move like when they were in 20+, so when they can't figure out their left foot from right, they weren't meant to do martial arts.
- many thought martial arts should look like "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" where folks should be able to fly through the air (we could launch them, but the insurance would kill us) and eat a dozen of those "white buns of death" and talked with the sound delay.
- they actually have to work at it, which they, somehow, thought it would be like playing bocce or maybe golf (we have the dojo weapons in a big golf bag. i need to number them though, like one of the bokken "7-iron"). actually, one of them asked me why i do martial arts, which i replied, that i was considered golf, but found out golf just too violent.
- and one of the toughest thing for the American folks, which they have so much difficulty to deal with: they will be up close and personal with other folks. yup, American tends to not like the physical touchy-feely kinda folks. god forbid if i show them the bjj guard positions. they would be running out the door screaming that they are trying to get away from their spouse, and don't want to do any missionary work.

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org