View Single Post
Old 06-19-2009, 04:49 AM   #13
Nicholas Eschenbruch
Dojo: TV Denzlingen
Germany
Re: Height and Aikido

Quote:
Ty Knight wrote: View Post
. So perhaps it could be an opportunity to develope an extremely stable/strong low stance.
I am 6'4'' and I think trying to have a very low stance must be done correctly, or else it may hinder your progress. A tall body is not just a bigger version of a small body, but more elongated most of the time. Standing very low can inhibit learning as a beginner, as it may make it more difficult to move your hips adequately. Also, it can bring problems in your lower back if not done correctly. Finally, it makes turning more difficult when we stand really low. So I think you have to be careful and pay a lot of attention to how you do it - that again, I agree, is a chance for learning.

In any case, in many techniques one must get underneath uke's centre, even if that is very low. However, try to find ways that suit your body and do not feel unnatural.

And there is nothing like having really long arms in a multiple attacker randori... palm smash to the chin, one after the other....
:-)

Last edited by Nicholas Eschenbruch : 06-19-2009 at 05:01 AM. Reason: improve clarity...