View Single Post
Old 04-27-2010, 10:18 PM   #17
BAP
Dojo: Union University Aikido
United_States
Re: Bad Uke

Quote:
Amir Krause wrote: View Post

Generally, I think your post shows confusion about the following topics related to learning M.A.:
1. Kata
2. Methodological training feedback
3. Counter techniques (Keashi Waza)
4. Randori / Kyoshi
5. "Reality check" of S.D. fighting

Amir
I do appreciate your insight. And your analysis of my mental clarity likely would be supported by others who know me. Or perhaps part of our difference is in semantics and method of application rather than in much actual substance.

I did not mean to imply that every class and technique should devolve into a free--for-all. Perhaps my writing style would lead to that conclusion (but if it helps stir some healthy debate regarding what the scope of proper training and levels of resistance in that training could and should be then that is a good thing in my opinion).

Everyone brings their own personality and philosophy into their practice of aikido. Part of the fun (challenge) of aikido is the process of learning to adapt to each new situation and circumstance. That includes adapting to who you are training with and attempting to achieve both parties training objectives. Some people don't mind a little more resistance while others prefer to concentrate just on the flow. For others the nuance of resistance is what's emphasized (whether based on skill or just general tolerance level). For some the thought of wearing a head pad as part of training s sacrilege against the spirit of aikido, for others its just a opportunity for a different variation on training.

Then again maybe if I wore a head pad more my degree of confusion wouldn't be high as it is.

Blair Presson