Old 03-18-2011, 11:19 AM   #8
Hellis
Dojo: Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
England
Re: Aikido and Weapons: The Connection

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote: View Post
Thanks Henry,

Rik looks to be doing quite well with his training too!

As someone who knows MMA and Aikido, Henry, where do you think Aikido's techniques best fit? Do you believe that there is a context where, martially, all of Aikido's techniques fit, without need for serious modification, or where additional techniques do not need to be added?
Hi Chris

May I just say that I have followed with much approval many of your direct and very sound postings...

I often think that Aikido desperately needs to move forward in the modern era. We are doing defence against a sword attack, not a thing of the past as Rik will tell you from experience. Rik often comes home and tells me how some of the MMA guys ask to see some of the Aikido techniques he applies from all angles and often in ground work...Sankyo is very effective. The techniques are " Aikido " techniques, not as the purists like to preform them in the dojo, in reality based situations.
I even had one guy on AJ say that I should be ashamed to allow my son to do MMA, he didn't offer to tell Rik himself
Initially I was surprised to find that once I had been to a ` Fight Night ` I was hooked, I really do enjoy it.

Henry Ellis
Aikido in MMA
http://rik-ellis.blogspot.com/