View Single Post
Old 11-16-2011, 11:00 AM   #44
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States
Re: why do people search outside Aikido for IS?

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
Then, being Doshu the inheritor of the art in an iemoto based system, going outside for IS/IP/Aiki is going astray.
The inheritor of an art in an iemoto based system obviously starts with what they inherit. They can then take it where ever they wish. Whether that is practically possible in an organization as large and diverse as Aikikai is another issue entirely. I'd say the Aikikai's biggest strength is its size and diversity. It is also its greatest weakness. Shrug. I'm not sure what your point is here.

Some define aiki a bit differently than the current standard pedagogy seems to suggest. Many of those people believe there were some subtle and not so subtle changes made over the years for any number of reasons. For those who are comfortable and happy with the way things are I suppose they have little reason to look outside for anything else. Great, they're in the right place. For others who have played with some folk outside of Aikido and found things they felt were valuable to *their* training, well, how is that bad?

I'm just going to quit posting on these issues. In another thread I get told that I'm tossing poo around simply because I disagree about some things. Others seem to want to stir up things just to stir them up. Me, I've got a permanently damaged spine and my time on the mat has an expiration date. And I guess it is time for me to realize that sitting behind a computer debating these things is just time away from the little time I have left to train.

Answer the questions for yourself. That's all we can all hope for. Shrug.