View Single Post
Old 07-20-2010, 08:26 PM   #141
RED
United_States
Re: should you smoke marijuana on your aikido journey

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Maggie, how do you decide what is "objectively wrong" and what is subjectively "live and let live"?
It's not deciding, sometimes the sky is just blue, 1+1=2. I don't get to say 1+1=4 and be credible. It is not my choice, it just is. I can also consider 1+1=4 is incorrect without hating the man who mis-computed. I can think that doing drugs is harmful and counter productive to Budo without thinking the drug user is defined by that action.

Anyone who thinks they "decide" what is right or wrong for others is self-righteous. If you want to do drugs I'm not going to decide that was a wrong choice for your life, but I have a right to think scientifically proven self-destructive behavior is very tragic.

You can use drugs all you want Mary, I mean you can get high then do Aikido if you want. I don't think you are a bad person for it. I'll live and let you live to make your own choices as an adult, and I'll make my own. But I have every right to think your choices are idiotic, and I can do so without thinking you yourself as a human being is idiotic.

There is a separation between a man and his mistakes.

There's an old joke: "I build this road, every road brick by brick. But do they call me "JOSE THE ROAD BUILDER?" I build this fence, every foot. But do they call me "JOSE THE FENCE BUILDER?"...NO! They don't....I mean you F*ck ONE GOAT and.."

My point, people are better than their mistakes. I believe this because I'd like to believe that I'm better than my mistakes. Everyone would like to think that of themselves, so I'd like to think of them like that for them as well.

This is really all I have to say on the subject.

Last edited by RED : 07-20-2010 at 08:31 PM.

MM