Old 07-08-2011, 04:42 AM   #24
john.burn

Dojo: Chishin Dojo
United Kingdom
Re: Slight expansion on jin & flexible frame

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
Dear John,
Not having met Ikeda Sensei I cannot comment on his standard of Aikido or how he applies his waza.However in my opinion and personal experience over a fairly long aikido career
I have seen many aikidoka who I consider to exhibit excellent aikido skills which I think can be attributed to what you call i/s.i/p
skills.I hope we may have an opportunity to discuss this sometime.Another point of course if this aspect encourages people to get together to research new/renewed methods thats a positive step in my book, Cheers, Joe.
Hi Joe,

Well, [shamless plug] Ikeda sensei is here April 20-22 next year [end of shameless plug, details on my website].

I agree a number of other teachers may well have these skills but I had not encountered them at the time I met Ikeda sensei which is why it was such an eye opener. Sadly many of the teachers who seemed to exhibit these things have long since passed on - Yamaguchi sensei etc.

As for this encouraging people to get together then absolutely - it sure does. I had to very big guys come along last night and they'll both be starting next week. The thing they asked about more than the 'external aikido' stuff? It would be those baseline parameters - they were very intrigued, slightly skeptical and after a quick push were dying to come back to start, in short, I managed to get two guys, both somewhere north of 15 / 16 stone very intrigued without having to do the usual Aikido type intro for them. The exact thing I did was jin & flexible frame as per the name of this thread.

I look forward to meeting you on or off the mat again sometime .

Best Regards,
John

www.chishindojo.co.uk