View Single Post
Old 07-09-2007, 11:32 AM   #130
DonMagee
United_States
Re: What technique would you apply to neutralize Brazilian Jujitsu attacker

Quote:
Paul Sanderson-Cimino wrote: View Post
Right -- I was thinking maybe some sort of nuisance maneuver like pushing the neck or jaw. But anyway, it was just an idea; I think it was probably not a good one.

It's sort of sad how happy it would make me to be able to pull off aikido waza somewhat reliably in free grappling. There are definitely times when I wish I'd never done aikido, because now I like the art too much to just drop it, as bizarre as that might sound. In the meantime, I guess the best thing to do is keep working at it.
Actually, my club does training pushing on the face, chin, etc. We also crossface with the forearm and do all sorts of 'evil' stuff like that in competitions where it is legal.

One of the first armbar setups I ever learned was from inside the guard. I would fake a collar choke then when he reached to defend I would turn my hips out swing my legs up and push his face as hard as I could without being accused of punching him. They would turn away from the push and allow me to armbar them without the defense that was always stopping me (they would drop their weight on top of me trapping me). Of course now I know at least two dozen better ways to setup an armbar.

I understand how you feel about using aikido in grappling. I try it every day. I am getting to a point where I can use some stuff against white belts with some reliability, but it is still harder to do then just judo and bjj. I break it down to the leading. In judo and bjj you do not need the person to be lead as much as you do in aikido. In most aikido classes your partner is allowing himself to be lead, thus allowing you to look great. But in sparing the person knows anything you are trying to do is probably not in his best interests. So he is going to put the breaks on most anything you can try.

The highest success I've had is with wrist locks. They are as easy to setup as armbars and chokes once you get some practice. It's fun watching the white belts be afraid to reach for you because of fear you will wrist lock them. However once you start playing with guys your level, those techniques are too low percentage to be something you should be using when higher percentage techniques are just as easy to setup and won't leave you so bad off when they fail. I refuse to teach any aikido I happen to get to my bjj friends. I tell them to go take aikido if they really want to learn it. Maybe someday if I open my own club I'll teach it to my students.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein