View Single Post
Old 05-10-2009, 05:59 AM   #66
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo
Re: Flinch Response in Aikido

Hi,

Again I think there is a misunderstanding.

From Blauer's website: "A stimulus introduced too quickly will by-pass the cognitive, muscle-memory systems in the brain and create a flinch response." In other words, if you are surprised, you will flinch, no way around it, no matter how many times you try to "train a response." This is fully supported by the research of Joseph LeDoux, the main scientist of how the brain deals with fear.

So, we cannot change the response, we can only affect what we might do the moment after the response. Tony Blauer is disagreeing with most of the posts on this thread (more accurately you are disagreeing with him.) Brian put it nicely, Blauer is teaching "capitalization of the response following the initial automatic response. And experienced combatants do use this when attacking, both good guys and bad, like SWAT teams and their flash bang grenades.

And I agree with Brian about it possibly being irresponsible training, but probably for a different reason. The first part of this equation is "a stimulus introduced too quickly" ,a surprise attack.

In an article on Blauer's website written by a Dr. Eric Cobb, there is this quote, "At least 90% of the time, the fight begins long before the actual physical confrontation occurs." Later Blauer writes "practically 100%." And there is some indication that they offer training on how to solve problems before they get to the physical stage. However, the overwhelming focus is clearly on the actual physical conflict stage of a confrontation.

This makes sense in a business sense. People do not respond in time and then get "surprised" due to what I would call damage in the psyche. And how much money would Mr. Blauer make if he were to offer to help people deal with their "issues"? And would he even be able to?

I know this is coming off as a harsh assessment. And it is. And I could be misunderstanding the whole thing. So I highly recommend people with an interest check it out themselves.

Charles