View Single Post
Old 08-09-2009, 01:35 AM   #4
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia
Re: The true purpose of Aikido?

As I understand it, Osensei never ceased to remind his students that Budo is a way that kills. At the same time he endeavours that Aikido should bring about peace. So yes, intrinsicly Aikido is martial. Even in offering our hand to uke, we have every intent of an attack behind that, it acts as an atemi just as a punch might be considered atemi. Just so, that we do not carry out that attack but the intent is left within the psyche.

It is also spiritual, because in order to master Aikido, we have to learn to surrender our ego. Often repeated but often misunderstood. My understanding at this point in time is:

We start with the correct intention of learning Aikido. We choose aikido not for its techniques but because we agree with its philosophy that conflict can be better managed and violence is not the only way. We have every chance to take up another art that does not care for this philosophy and prefers to do away with the opponent with the greatest efficiency.

Once we are past the intent, we begin to learn aikido principles and waza and thus develop aikido power. We don't learn waza just for the theatrics, but we do it so we know how to use it well. As it is mostly derived from weapons, we begin with basic core of cutting in everything we do. The martial element is not lost but developed here. Still we do not also forget the principles underlying each waza. The key difference here is blending with the opponent and redirecting his force amongst other things. If we rely on pure mechanics and our strength/speed and etc, again we have now shied away from our intention of learning Aikido.

Before I rant on, I guess what I want to describe is that Aikido waza is martial but layered upon a spiritual intent. If you attack me, my presence into you is an atemi but I do not strike, instead I blend with you and lead your power to where it would go. I do not use aggression nor do I make you do what I want to. Its about letting go. Not easy when most of us are born as control freaks.

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.