View Single Post
Old 06-22-2006, 07:16 AM   #69
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
United Kingdom
Re: British 8th dan?

Quote:
good post, I too think that this thread is not presenting British aikido in a good light, as I'm sure that similar things are happening the world over.
Oh I don't know it's in a bad light, the odd airing of the dirty linen at least stops it mouldering. Most things hidden away behind closed doors could do with a good kicking in the light of day if you ask me.

As regards the side-topic itself, I'm severely mixed. On the one hand I acknowledge both Dave's intentions (and applaud his earlier work over the BAB) and the legitimate concerns over fraud. On the other I have difficulty with the same tired implications that anyone who starts their own art (or even style within an art) is somehow fraudulent [insert standard arguments about how aikido started, counter-claims that founder didn't award himself rank, questions about the legitimacy of all the dan grades awarded to various aikido missionaries when sent abroad, yada yada].

If someone is claiming rank within an organization or links to tradition that they don't have, that is fraudulent. If someone has attained a rank within an organization, however it was derived, it isn't. You may or may not agree with their rank, but if it's not within your own organization, you're comparing apples to oranges anyway.

Sign me in with the "just train dammit", I let other people worry about their own rank while I'll save my worries for that strange bruise which I can't quite remember getting.