View Single Post
Old 05-28-2011, 06:52 PM   #112
DH
United_States
Re: Do We Need To Invent A New Training? Yes/No/Maybe/How?

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
In my opinion there is no reason for anyone to insult, put down, denegrate or otherwise anything to do with O'Sensei or any other Aikido Shihan be it Tomiki, Tohei, Noro, Saotome, whoever. It's quite simply a matter of honour and is only done by those with hidden agendas no matter how good they are at what they do.

Regards.G.
Dishonorable? No...it isn't.
It most certainly is not dishonorable to question teaching models and to recite things like....
"Don't teach white people..."
"Only teach one or two of your closest students..."

and then discuss the fact that it is increasingly obvious that few ever really got what the greats had. I think it is a requirement. It is also very clear that the Japanese do not have a very good teaching model for this, even when they WANT to teach it openly. I find it quite surprising, even startling to hear westerners think that they do

As for put downs, depends on what you call a put down. Of course the fella who doesn't having anything special (and how many do you think secretly already know it) is going to feel put down, it simply cannot be avoided...but it can be fixed.

As for the list of people you mentioned; have you noted I spoke well of Saotome and added Shirata to that list. Have you considered that Ikeda has himself gone outside of the art to get it from someone else beside Saotome, and so isn't Gleason and Ledyard?
Do you know it is perfectly fine with Saotome?
Apparently he understands the wisdom in it, something that many are as yet still not seeing.
Now add various shihan and many dozens of teachers from other styles to that list and your argument sort of looks empty. Frankly I see it as much ado about nothing. People are training in something they like.
Cheers
Dan

Last edited by DH : 05-28-2011 at 07:06 PM.