View Single Post
Old 10-18-2010, 01:26 AM   #6
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Re: Kaeshiwaza Sample Clip - George Ledyard

Quote:
Szczepan Janczuk wrote: View Post
You know, George, we have similar view what aikido is. But this clip is very boring AND I'm using a lot of etiquette to describe my feelings here
After watching it, I would never buy dvd. 5 minutes of talking, one throw and again 5 minutes of talking... Is this your usual style of teaching? :0

I don't think it is a right way of teaching kaeshi waza. Starting with your partner, who is not even trying to unbalance you correctly, nor doing kotegaeshi...he is simply going through the motions waiting for your counter. So all this situation is completely fake right from the beginning...

You are not presenting how to behave as a Uke in 'normal' scenario, when Nage is doing full power technique on you. Nage is much shorter and much weaker then you...It is not adding much credibility to the the rest of dvd. It is not easy to believe that the way you are doing a counter will work successfully with Nage the same size as you...
a) I have no problem with you not buying my videos
b) I can and do execute this kind of thing on ukes my size or larger
c) I am sorry to be boring, but yes I do teach that way quite a lot. Folks who are impatient to get on with the throwing don't do well in my classes. I am more interested in making sure folks know exactly what they are trying to do. Especially when I am making a video, folks would not have any idea what I was doing without the explanation.

Videos are an issue because you can't "feel" what is going on. Ikeda Sensei won't put much of this stuff on videos for the general public because he knows they'll just think it's fake. So he only sells them at seminars after folks have had a chance to directly experience that it does work. I personally don't care whether you think it works or not so I put the stuff out there. Folks will respond or not. It's not my problem.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com