View Single Post
Old 01-10-2008, 09:57 AM   #17
SmilingNage
United_States
Re: "Larger Named Youngest US Second-Degree Aikido Blackbelt&qu

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
This kid's desire and commitment shows the rest of us how much desire and commitment we lack. While we are slowly stewing this kid is cooking fast.

David
Speak for yourself. I for one train with heart, vigor and desire every session. The difference is I want to make the technique mine. That is make a technique adaptable/adjustable so that it could be applied regardless of the situation. Not to learn just 1 variation of the technique or to learn a technique just for testing purposes.

It boils down to exposure. 6yrs, of how many years in adult class is unknown, with the limited assumed training schedule given, small community based program, to reach Nidan at such a young age and so little time is to much to fast in my book. Some might be inclined to read this as the McDojo approach to ranking. Designed to give out McRanks and McDans certifications to those not willing to wait or not having the attention span to stay with the program. If that organization is willing to put out these type of press releases then they should be ready to accept condemnation and or scrutiny for fast promotions.

From my own testing experiences, we were always required to know the current ranks requirement and the next rank's requirements as well as all the previous ranks. My previous Sensei would routinely throw techniques not on the test. To him, for sure, testing wasn't a race and he would hold people back until they matured and soaked in all that ranks knowledge. Furthermore, there was the unwritten student rule if you tested the day before, then you better come to class the next day. Where the seniors would help remind you of just how little you really know, all in good fun of course.

Once again, its none of my business of who gets what rank, I have to worry about what I am doing. I don't know the people involved or the organization or events surrounding this article. But I do know, I would never endorse fast promotions or testing for testing sake. Those are my own personal standards, which I hold to myself to and will hold any students that I might teach to.

Dont make me, make you, grab my wrist.