Old 01-11-2011, 10:22 AM   #9
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: pressure testing

Quote:
Michael Hackett wrote: View Post
Hi Chris,

I don't understand the video clip very well. With Nage being armed, the continued attacks seemingly would become artificial quickly. It is a rare attacker who will continue attacking after being slashed or stabbed. On the other hand, doing this drill with Nage unarmed and Uke armed seems to make sense in terms of pressure or stress. I don't fault the movement or the principles headlined at all.
I do not know how you are using or what you mean by "artificial".

It is not rare that an attacker will continue to attack after he has been cut. Often times people do not even know that they have been life threateningly injured once the adrenaline is going. Training this way makes nage better at dealing with this type of situation, and keeps us from fantasizing about what may happen.

Dealing with multiple attackers unarmed maybe a reality, although an unlikely one (there are weapons at hand everywhere you go). Dealing with multiple armed attackers is part of the Aikido syllabus (in my opinion), but doing that unarmed isn't (again my opinion).

I would be willing to talk with you more about his, but I don't want to hijack this thread. We could start a new one if you are interested.

-Chris