View Single Post
Old 11-02-2016, 05:18 PM   #23
Sensei Sashido
Dojo: Black Leopard Martial Arts School
Fiji
Re: kokyuho and the reverse breath.

Quote:
Brian Sutton wrote: View Post
Inhale, pulling abdomen in: pulling tendons to bones. Making extending ki easier. Creating an expansive yet integrated feeling in the body.

Exhale, pushing abdomen out: dropping, rooting, leveling and creating a integrated feeling in the body. Allowing force coming in to transmit more easily to the ground. Helping the body to withstand and redirect the outside force downward.

So kokyuho translates to breathing exercise. I've noticed some Dojos put more emphasis on the breath while others put less.

Any thoughts on this?

I've noticed the reversed breath as way to help establish and maintain kokyuo throughout.

Any thoughts on the emphasis of breath in Aikido?

Any breathing exercises of your own?

Any tips or suggestions on maintaining kokyuho throughout all of Aikido practice?

Thank you.
What you have explained is what we learned in Ancient Indian texts known as Kaivalya Kumbhakam. Yes it is an integral part of developing powerful Ki and breath control. All Aikido dojos should practice that as O'Sensei himself was an ardent follower of breath control. In one of his texts he does point out to vedic breath control.

In my 25yrs of Aikido experience, it definitely works wonders and will for everyone.
Thanks for bringing it up.

Regards