View Single Post
Old 12-14-2010, 07:58 PM   #368
Randall Lim
Dojo: Tendoryu Aikido Singapore
Singapore
Re: Why do some people hate Aikido?

Quote:
Cherie Cornmesser wrote: View Post
This reminds me of an experience I had last spring at a seminar. I'm just 5th kyu and still working out how to be when visiting a different dojo. So trying to be very polite I thought I recalled working with a particular yundasha the night before and that she had an injured wrist. Not wanting to cause further injury I grabbed her more lightly than is my norm. Still trying to give a committed attack but without the strong grip I usually have. So we were doing the excercise that sensei had given us and it seemed to be going well.

Anyway after a moment, this person decides to offer some advice and says to me, " you need to work on your strength. It's ok I used to have the same problem, you will get there. Just be aware that you need to work on it."

Now I have never had anyone say such a thing to me before. I'm not exactly a weak person as I trim horses hooves for part of my living and I never get accused of giving it away. I had to stifle a laugh to stay polite, so I asked her, " do you mean physical strength as in you would like a stronger grip?" She says yes. So I'm like ok you asked for it. Grabbed her with my usual style and got very heavy. She got a very strange look on her face when she suddenly could not move me.
Maybe what she meant was that she could not feel the "connection" of the contact. "Connection" to link both your centres.

I believe the intensity of an Uke's grab has an optimum level. Not too loose that no "connection" is felt that can link both centres. Not too tight that leaves Uke too rigid to move accordingly to protect himself.

Just my 2-cents worth...