Thread: Gokyo-why?
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2006, 08:34 AM   #59
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Re: Gokyo-why?

Hello Chris,

I will try to answer your questions, but in some cases, I really do not know the answer.

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote:
Mr. Goldsbury,

"though you would be surprised at how many test candidates cannot tell the difference between 5-kyou and 1-kyou. I think that 5-kyou, like 1-kyou, is still fundamentally an elbow pin."

What exactly is it that you mean by this statement? What is it that makes it so hard for test candidates to understand the difference between ikkyo and gokyo?
Basically, I mean that in dan examinations when candidates are asked to execute Shoumen/Yokomen uchi 5-kyou in knife attacks, they respond with 1-kyou. I have no idea why they cannot tell the difference.

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote:
Do you mean they don't make the correct grip, or they try and use omote takedowns, or they use the wrong finishing control? Is it something other then these 3 things? If it's not one of these 3 things then I to have a hard time differentiating gokyo from Ikkyo, and I would like to be enlightened as to the difference's.
PAG. If you can do 5-kyou ura, then you can certainly do 5-kyou omote, whether from Shoumen or yokomen uchi. The usual problem is that the grip on the wrist is applied far too early and is an 1-kyou grip.

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote:
Also what do you mean by saying it's fundamentally an elbow "pin". I would call a pin something that holds someone to a fixed point, and I would feel that gokyo doesn't actually do this at all.
PAG. Well, I think the locus of 1-kyou is the elbow, but many people focus on the upper arm, between the elbow and the shoulder, or on the wrist. In consequence, if the elbow is properly 'pinned' during the waza, the pinning of the wrist can easily vary (between 1-kyou or 5-kyou, and also including 2, 3, and 4-kyou).

Thank you
-Chris Hein[/quote]

Best wishes,

P A Goldsbury