View Single Post
Old 06-28-2012, 03:40 AM   #26
lars beyer
Dojo: Copenhagen Aikishuren Dojo
Denmark
Re: Styles of Aikido - which is right for me?

Quote:
Philip Zeplin-Frederiksen wrote: View Post
Well yes... because they are both under Aikikai, I understand that. But as I said (and you quoted), what about situations where they don't fall under the same organization, such as Yoshinkan and Iwama for instance?

Thank you for the in-depth reply
Quickly though, I'm still trying to find out the more factual differences in the styles? Are there specific differences in the techniques, that matter to any noticeable degree?
While self-defence is a concern, it is only one point out of many. I think one of the main reasons I'm so fascinated by Aikido, is that it's very different from what I trained before (very "dumbed down" Shotokan Karate, which was horribly linear and boring).

To be honest, I don't know if I'd train for much more than 2'ish years. Chances are that once I reach something up around Shodan, I'd want to change to another martial arts, something like Judo/Krav Maga/Aiki-jutsu/BJJ or such, something very different again. I'm not sure I'm interested in overly specializing in one specific martial art in the long run, but you never know

And yes, originally I was going to start training this coming month, but I realized that the only Yoshinkan dojo around me is closed until September, and I really wanted to have a look at it before deciding. As such, I'm going to wait until I've had a look at the dojo's in Japan in August, and then decide when I get back, and I can have a quick trial lesson at the Iwama and Yoshinkan place Otherwise I'd already be checking out the two!
If you go to Aikido Journalīs website you will find lots of in depth articles on many different important persons in Aikido and you can spent the next 10 years + refining your research. You will also find an easy step by step guide at Aikido Journal written by Stanley Pranin describing the various steps in finding the right dojo for you.
If you want to find out how the various styles do this or that just read all the articles and threads on this forum and all the articles on Aikido Journal, search the web and youtube and that will give you a broad idea and there is plenty to choose from, but it will not provide you with personal experience which is more important. You decide.
There are several lineages in Denmark as well represented by "Dansk Aikido Forbund" ( the danish aikido federation ) which is affiliated to Aikikai. Maybe you should start your research there and try out the various dojoīs in your area for yourself.

Cheers
Lars