Thread: Aiki-Boxing
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2007, 07:50 AM   #187
philippe willaume

United Kingdom
Re: Aiki-Boxing

Quote:
Robert John wrote: View Post
Ooh... you know hurts so much, but true.

Then again, there is a truth to what Roman says. Most people are forced to play a boxer's or wrestlers game.
The ability to truly not play their game wouldn't be special if it were easy.
Not to play the devil advocate….(especially since I am all the way on your side of the fence)
But I think Roman and Dan point is that aikido, the way it is taught, (i.e. the way it was taught and demonstrated to them) do not teach you how to play your game.
Personally I do not agree that it does apply to aikido as whole but there are certainly occurrences of that in aikido.

To make things "worse", I think MMA is very good at defining and polishing your game. (On that point I agree with Dan and Roman)

In that context, Dan has a point about aikido techniques being inefficient, partly due to reason Robert advanced but as well because that in some schools/styles, they try to make you run before you can walk.
On the other hand is there are schools/styles that are more on the "make it work before making it flow" type of philosophy.

Ps all countries are not equal regarding self defense, In the UK you can not carry a riffle a gun, a knife, a sword or any implement as a mean of self defense (unless professional).
It is against the law and on the top of that it is a big torpedo in you self defense case….. So it is back to old way self defense…:-)

One Ringeck to bring them all and in darkness bind them,
In the Land of Windsor where phlip phlop live.