View Single Post
Old 10-13-2005, 02:41 AM   #366
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
United Kingdom
Re: Aikido does not work at all in a fight.

Quote:
in my opinion it's irresponsible to say "aikido isn't practical."
no argument here, didn't realize I may have inferred this, just happily playing devils advocate.
Quote:
If you consider how chaotic most fights are, i think it's pretty reasonable to view them all as life or death encounters
While I understand the viewpoint and accept it's certainly a viable attitude, in many situations I feel it's often an over-reaction which can actually be detrimental to resolving a situation. If your first reaction to any initial conflict is a "do or die" one, you've already limited your options to kill or flight, which I don't think is a credible. Weapons involved, all bets are of course off

Really I suppose I'm reacting to the almost mythic quality which is attributed to the average mugger/burglar or bar-room bully as that of a highly trained sociopath out for your blood at all costs. I don't think it helps either your self defense or even your quality of life. Accurately assessing the threat is the main way of keeping yourself safe, here to err on the side of caution is good, accepting each conflict as your chance for Valhalla, not a fan.