View Single Post
Old 09-11-2000, 11:27 PM   #7
jrfreed353
Dojo: just moved
Since I too am a beginner and in a similar situation (many advanced students and few beginners) I found the most important thing to remember is to be respectful, watchful, and willing to "sacrifice the body" This doesn't mean to act reckless with my body, but be open to new techniques that seem at first a little scary. (This sunday i took my first breakfall!!) Seeing my sempai demonstate and his faith that I could exacute this fall...even though I was scared I "took the plunge" and tried the fall. His faith in me proved right as I did the fall (not great of course) but I completed it multiple times with zero injuries and found that there was nothing to fear.

When I first started training, I was the one and only beginner in the group. At first it was a little intimidating, but everyone made me feel very welcome. But I take my training very seriously...to say that I am dedicated to training three/four times a week, comming in early to practise ukemi and stretch, and looking to my sempai for guidence at all times. But now, as new beginners enter the class I am a little bummed that they do not take their training and ettiquette as seriously as I do/did. As extended to me, I make every effort to make this new batch of new-commers feel as welcome as I felt in the beginning.

If you take training seriously, sensai and sempai will see your effort and extend every courtesy.

Jason R. Freed