View Single Post
Old 06-15-2010, 05:13 PM   #12
MM
United_States
Re: Difficulty with Tenkan

Quote:
Niall Matthews wrote: View Post
Thanks for your reply Mark. Your profile doesn't say if you have a rank in a martial art. I have been doing aikido for nearly thirty years and I called you on this because this is not an either/or thing. It's not a difference between ryuha. You are just giving wrong information. Any beginner reading this is going to be confused. If you or anyone else moves their shoulders first you will be blocked. Guaranteed. If you want to do a different esoteric way of training it's cool. But it's not cool to use this aikido forum and this aikido question to tell other people to do the same. I'll say it again. In aikido we nove from the hips. Always.
I'd agree that modern aikido people reading my posts will be a bit confused. I stopped training in modern aikido a couple of years ago. I'm currently training in Ueshiba Morihei's aiki...do. Or rather training in the aiki that made Ueshiba Morihei great as a martial artist.

30 years is quite a bit of time, especially getting to train in Japan. You have experiences that few will get to have. Nothing but respect from me for all that you've done. But, I'll still disagree with you. It isn't wrong information, but good, solid information regarding training in aiki. Modern aikido people will not understand it. Heck, I didn't when I was first introduced to aiki. To quote someone else, I didn't know that I didn't know. I'll just ask that you keep an open mind and do some research. Maybe one day we'll cross paths and have a great conversation in person.

Thanks,
Mark