View Single Post
Old 09-18-2009, 10:38 AM   #17
jonreading

Dojo: Aikido South
United_States
Re: YouTube - good or bad for aikido?

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
I don't think there's much cause for concern, because I don't think there are many people at all who watch youtube videos and try to learn aikido from them.
I have received so many requests to post YouTubes that we now have a YouTubes link on our website. YouTube, amongst other social outlets and "FREE" information sites, is quickly becoming the dominant information source for younger generations. The speed at which users can disseminate information through these mediums is dizzying. Of course, the information need not be factual, nor qualified... I am going to try to publish links to aikido clips which I have reviewed to reduce the opportunity for students to see "bad" clips.

i think YouTube (or its conterparts) will present two direct problems for aikido:
1. Who will be responsible to review and authorize the quality of the clips "representative" of aikido? There are great clips on YouTube; there are also terrible clips.
2. The "FREE" drive is part of a larger assault on the commodity of aikido. Why buy a DVD of instruction when I can watch YouTube videos? Why attend seminars when I can watch YouTube videos? Why pay for class when I can watch YouTube videos?

Many students benefit from watching YouTube clips of aikido, but there is cost to that convenience. As a free resource, users must discern between the good clips and the bad. As I saw posted earlier, even for advanced students, many aikido video clips look unreal - how do we expect new or prospective students to digest what is good [and bad] aikido? We can't.

Currently there is a Playstation 3 commercial which utilizes Internet-based knowledge in a humorous commerical for the $299 PS3. The ad leads with a younger male asking a Playstation representative, "I read on the Internet the PS3 is $299." The representative, walking through a series of "$299" ad materials (banners, signs, etc.) says, "you can't believe everything you read on the Internet, that's how World War I was started..." Even advertisers are picking up on the [over]reliance on Internet information by younger people.

For you Onion readers: http://www.theonion.com/content/news...s_750_years_of
This is a great article about wikipedia...

For those of you who content instructional videos on YouTube is not a big deal:
http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/271835
Here is a story about a man who watched a YouTube video to deliver a baby.

http://www.classroom20.com/profiles/...logPost:177332
This is a story for educators to incorporate YouTube in the classroom

I am not even going to post the numerous articles for small businesses about posting YouTube instructionals to reduce support time and imrpove customer service.

Last edited by jonreading : 09-18-2009 at 10:47 AM.