View Single Post
Old 05-23-2008, 08:15 AM   #37
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Re: Japanese Aikido Prayer at beginning of class

Quote:
Dalen Johnson wrote: View Post
What does Onegai-shimasu mean? (Forgive me if I somehow have overlooked it, but I went back through the thread and didnt see the meaning.)

As well, there was another version of this offered which was:
Dozo yoroshiku onegai-shimasu. I am curious to know what this means as well.

Just a couple more hours until training and Ill be listening to see what it is we say.

Thank you -

Peace

dAlen
Hello dAlen,

The most appropriate translation for onegai-shimasu in a dojo would be something like, 'Let us help each other in the best way of which we are capable, according to our respective knowledge and capabilities.' So, if you, as a would-be 5th kyuu, happen to train with an 8th dan, the greeting would apply to both of you.

Dozo yoroshiku onegai shimasu is way, way over the top in a typical dojo. It might be okay for Doshu at Kagami-biraki, but not for anyone in a typical dojo during daily training. So, if I am reelected as IAF Chairman, I would probably go to Doshu and say to him, Korekara mo douzo yoroshiku onegai shimasu, which would mean something like, From now (from my election), let us help each other (in our respective spheres) over the next few years. But I would say this to Doshu only because I am a prominent member of a large federation closely related to the Aikikai. It would make no sense to say this before practising each waza in a typical dojo.

In Japan we exchange nenga-jo, or New Year greeting cards. Sometimes lazier students of mine who are trying to ensure that they will receive a passing grade send me nengajo with the full greeting. which means something like, 'Please continue to take a favorable view of my situation, especially in the examination period, when it is time to give, or withhold, credits for your course.' I am usually unmoved by such requests.

Best wishes,

P A Goldsbury