View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 04:15 PM   #77
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: Sumo: light vs heavy and IS?

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote: View Post
You've got to look at this from my perspective. I am pretty sure that I know what you're talking about. I don't think there is anything wrong with it. If what you are describing is on the video you posted I would describe that as chinese internal. I'm sure that Ueshiba was interested in and trained in this type of movement (this is one of the reasons I trained in it). But I believe it is only a part of what he was doing. He was also interested in training in koryu weapons and jujutsu. He was also interested in spiritual study/action. All of these things made up his art, Aikido. I don't believe he was only talking about the IP aspects of his training when he spoke of Aikido-or Aiki for that matter..

I understand that your main interest is internal, but that's not the whole of Aikido. My offer to peacefully meet with you next time you're in California still stands. Barring you meeting with me I'd rather not hear any more about my lack of understanding of IP. As you yourself often say, you don't know until you've felt them.
This comes around every once in a while, but Dan has never, to my knowledge, said anything about IP being limited to the technical, or that there was no crossover into the spiritual side. In fact, if you speak to him personally you may find that it is exactly the opposite.

I would say that the challenge is really to get to the universe without floating off into outer space - the technical method provides the base and the engine for the spiritual side, and without it mostly what you have is a figment of your imagination. Ueshiba actually talks about this in places in Take Musu Aiki.

Hiroshi Tada mentions this too, at various places in the translated interview that I've been putting up.

Here, for example:

Quote:
However, this is not something that can just be known vaguely, you must also be fully conversant with the concrete training methods relating to this method of thinking about the mind, the body, and technique.
And here, as well:

Quote:
What cannot be understood concretely, through a concrete method, cannot be trained.
There were a couple of other places as well, if you read the whole series.

Best,

Chris