View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
Brett Charvat
United_States
Re: Aikido, Cross-training, Aiki and the Arts

"This concept of training separately in internal power is not really known in Japan."

--Really? When I lived there I trained at two separate and unrelated aikidojo, and both consisted of a majority of students who were chiefly interested in waza training and a small but dedicated minority who were aware of and actively seeking the "stuff" (kokyu ryoku, IP, inner muscle, whatever you want to call it) through extracurricular training methods. Kind of like.....how it seems to be here in the states.

"If you train sincerely in any martial art eventually you will develop inner power."

--I disagree with this, too. If it were true, why do I keep hearing so many high level practicioners from aikido (and other arts, to be sure) claim that it can't be developed just by doing the typical training regimen? It's not largely new folks who are seeking out these training opportunities and methods; it's typically people with decades of experience in their chosen art. They can't all be deluded fools, can they?