View Single Post
Old 09-19-2008, 07:40 PM   #12
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: On Talking About Internal Training

Quote:
Allen Beebe wrote: View Post
Well, that is something. And I suppose Dan is "satisfied" that Toby and Howard have "some degree" of skills based on his recommendation.

Yes, but how does your "feel[ing] better" concern others? I can see how a plug from someone generally recognized by others (who have felt them) could benefit a seminar, but it sounds as though you think that they *require* some form of recognition from some "authority" to allow themselves to be experienced. This doesn't seem to reflect the realism that you have conveyed in your most recent posts nor does it seem fair.

This reasoning holds true if they "can't" post to the public. It doesn't hold true if they simply "don't" post to the public. Furthermore, George Ledyard has felt you, Ushiro Kenji, Ark Aizawa, Rob John, and Howard and Toby, and obviously feels training (and teaching) with both Howard (repeatedly) and Toby is beneficial.

So I'm guessing I won't be seeing you there Mike. Too bad. I'd still like to see you in the future though!

This may be more true of you than of others though.

Once again, "can show" and "choose to show" are two different things.

These guys probably don't feel like they have anything to prove to us any more than a Chen family member probably feels compelled to verbally vet themselves on the boards.

If there are doubts, folks can go out and feel for themselves. No?

That being said, I am grateful for those that do share as much as they choose to. (Even though the sharing is rather restricted compared to all that they COULD share wouldn't you agree? Everyone draws a line somewhere.)

All the best,
Allen
Well, I don't expect everyone to agree with me, Allen. Each to his own. I simply stated my opinion that people who "know" stuff well enough should be able to at least express how to do them, even if at a basic level. Your opinion may differ.

As has been noted before, the people who have at least some basic knowledge of the basic skills (not who is "very powerful".. a different topic entirely) seem to have no problem with at least a very basic dialogue. It's the basic dialogue that I look for before I start spending time and money to go check out the "just in case" stuff. I hope you'll allow me to think that there should be some indicator other than just friendly recommendations?

What compounds the problem is the number of people who "already do this stuff"... but as Dan and others have pointed out, this doesn't always turn out to be true when the rubber meets the road. What I'm suggesting is that there were an awful lot of discussions on this and other forums where a few simple words would have been enough to indicate who really "already knew this stuff" and who didn't. One of the big questions, and a valid one given the lack of dialogue over the last few years, is who really "knows this stuff" and who doesn't. Bear in mind that I think a lot of thought should be given to making sure the same problems of the past don't just slip in under new guises. Don't you think that's a good idea?

Regards,

Mike