View Single Post
Old 04-24-2005, 08:07 PM   #13
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada
Re: Atemi ga ii

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
Thanks, Larry. Sounds good. Could you elaborate on what you mean by "power from the hips", please? I.e., what is it about the hips that adds power to the strike?
Hi Mike,

I'll try.

I guess it comes down to timing, focus, extension and relaxation of the hips as a support structure and therefore a conduit of force in the midst of the body. An example is where the hips are rolled forward or extended at the point where impact with the weapon (for example the fist) is made, allowing the fist to penetrate its target with the augmented power of the body coming forward, which is controlled by the rotation, relaxation or extension of the hip. This, along with body alignment allows the forward motion of the body (caused by the forward step), to be channelled into the arms via the spine and focused at the point where the strike makes impact.

So the hips are like the "power transmission and focusing unit" imho that links the power structures of the lower body musculature and the forward motion of the whole body to the upper body musculature via the spine. It also stabilises the body (along with the legs and spine) and controls balance while in motion so that the transmission of power can be maintained all the way through to the end strike. In this way one is able to harness and focus (by correct timing of hip motion) the energy being generated by the larger muscle groups of the lower body, the forward momentum gained from stepping and also the power of body weight and relaxation by sinking into the hips at the culmination of the strike.

Fwiw. I reserve the right to be wrong.
LC

Last edited by L. Camejo : 04-24-2005 at 08:17 PM.

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca