View Single Post
Old 04-04-2007, 10:36 AM   #37
Mark Mueller
Re: Weight-training and Ki/Kokyu

Mike said

"Can someone who has learned this form of movement now use heavy implements and weights? Yes. But he'll use them quite differently from someone who doesn't know these movement skills.'

What if it was quite the opposite.....Moving and using heavy implements and tools develeped strong movement skills "intutitively and unconscouisly."

I come from a family of farmers and blacksmiths (but alas I was rasied a suburban kid for the most part.) I am close to 50 myself and I always love to listen to my dad and his 8 brothers discuss the chores that were a daily part of thier life which included moving full milk cans from the barn to the dairy house (Carrying one in each hand)......working for 8 straight hours in the heat of summer tossing 40-60 lbs bales of hay 6 - 8 feet onto the hay wagon., using a heavy blacksmith hammer to improvise a peice of equipment that needed to be replaced and all the hundreds of other physical jobs that running a tenant farm entailed.. None of these men were built like wegiht lifters or bodybuilders but I still see them today as some of the most solid individuals I have ever met....they scoff at exercise because why do that when you can be doing something useful ( my father dug a swimming pool usng only a shovel one time because he was concerned he was getting soft).

The point to all this was there was no conscoious thought on their part of connecting vectors, powers of force, ki or chi, etc. It was just work and their bodies adapted to the tasks in the most appropriate manner. In our modern lives we don't have the occasion to do a lot of physical tasks on the scale that they did ( and to some extent what a lot of the old japanese and chinese folks did). It was a hard life and our modern life is EXTREMEMLY less labor intensive.

So in listening to all these discussions I am beginning to think it is not about some super secret techniques or feel....but rather a way of life that these old masters lived that contributed to thier power (walking everywhere, carrying water, etc, etc. actually using their bodies.).

If I were a betting man (and had a time machine) I would bet there would be very few people on this board who could have put my grandfather (in his prime) on his keester regardless of their martial skills (he had none) but he could move a stubborn 1500 lb draft horse, swing a 9 lb hammer over a hot forge )(with either hand) all day and still work and maintain a farm.

And at the end of the day he was too f*cking tired to philosophize about how it all worked. He just got up and did it again the next day.

So how does that help us all? Not a damn bit....I just liked telling the story.