View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013, 11:24 AM   #5
Malicat
Dojo: Suenaka-Ha Aikido of Bloomington
United_States
Re: Hello from NJ

Quote:
George McCabe wrote: View Post
Just got home from my second class. I'm hooked. It was a very humbling experience actually. I have been reading the forums and watching videos for a few weeks now. All of which stated that Aikido takes years to become proficient in. I chalked it up to "opinion". Boy was I wrong.
Hey George! Glad you like it. Remember how you feel this week, any aches and pains, and instances where you simply don't 'get' how the techniques are working. I promise in 6 months, you are going to be amazed at the difference. While Aikido is definitely an art that requires a lifetime to study, I still feel that the changes in how you move in your daily life, as well as how you respond to certain situations will surprise and benefit you in the short term as well as the long term. I came from a sport style of Isshin Ryu karate, and I'm still trying to unlearn habits. I still have a long way to go, but I still remember how lost I was in my first couple months, and I know that I've made huge improvements. That's what I love about Aikido. I'm not trying to be better than everyone else, I'm just trying to be better than I was 6 months ago.

--Ashley