View Single Post
Old 02-02-2006, 06:13 PM   #22
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom
Re: Akido notebook

Quote:
Lyle Bogin wrote:
I have a running log that I have been keeping on and off since about '94. The thing winds up with everything from martial musings to grocery lists in it. It always great to look back and read how stupid you were...makes you think how stupid you must be now!
Maybe this is why I don't write anything down, there is no record of how stupid I was ( or still am! )

Seriously though, I'm respectfully going against the grain of the postings here. I can see and appreciate that many people gain a great deal from keeping a record/journal/notes that helps them in their aikido.
I have not, and may never keep a log, simply because for me aikido does not live in any text. I have read some great books on the subject, particularly those charting OSensei's life and teaching. But I can honestly say that all of my aikido has been learnt on the mat from my teachers and fellow students.
The moment I read posts/text trying to expain an aikido technique or some form of body movement, my brain goes into meltdown. I just can't fathom how that translates into 3 dimensional real time reality, especially when there is another human being involved. It's hard enough to teach when the student is in contact, let alone being once ore twice removed through language and 2D text.
Anyway, I enjoy reading the contributions being made, and there are some excellent contributors to these forums, so my enjoyment of aikido is enhanced by the connection to the wider community through the written word.
Traditionally, our post practice social revolves around a trip to the local inn for a pint of fine ale, a laugh and joke. So writing up notes would seem 'not in the spirit of the moment'. Having said that I practice with people who do make notes, when they've got back from the pub!

Cheers all,
Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.