View Single Post
Old 12-29-2008, 11:54 AM   #18
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom
Re: What's the Difference in Aikido Practice During 60's Compared to Now?

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that 40 years ago, all you guys were younger, aikido was new in the west, and the shihan that came out of japan were young, energetic, vibrant, and had to prove themselves.

Fast forward to 40 years....

We have established hierachry. "Been there done that, wisdom, old bones, etc.

New students come into an organization that was once set up on discovery learning and innovation, to find an established institution that primarily is...well...40 years old.

Maybe it is time for a new generation to break free and innovate again? To re-discover?

I think in many respects that will require the status quo to "let go" and take on a roll of "wisdom" and "guidance", and less of an authoritarian, "do what I say" and "have faith/practice what I tell you" role.

You see this currently within the MMA and BJJ world today. Lots of young folks coming into a practice, they essentially are defining things in many respect for themselves, self discovery...all that.

You know, there are no rules stopping anyone from practicing aikido how they want to....just simply start doing it. Albeit, it can be hard to do this in a existing institution that by nature of the word "institution" may not want to change how they do things!

I think it is probably less about what people today want, and more about how those that have been doing it for 40 years have changed over the years. You guys for the most part control the organizations and institutions, if you don't like it...lets change it!

To be honest, I get tired of hearing "old timers" complain about how "young people" today aren't willing to work as hard, yet they are typically the ones that are in a position to do something about it, yet, they are the ones that are comfortable at the top and really have no great incentive to do something about it!

Not saying anyone hear is that way...but I think it is something
worth thinking about!
Kevin,
There are a lot of good kids out there I just wish I could find them!! and that they would come and fill my "was" dojo.....
The "authorities" and "media" complain and comment about kids getting "fat" and not willing to want to learn a sport or hobby...... What I have found is there is little aid as to whether "local authority" will help somebody who has often given their time for nothing and offered to give it for nothing and are more concerned about "political correctness" and what organization are you from? Oh! you just want to teach aikido for free? .... well there isn't much demand for that as we have to think about what people really want...??
"No I can't afford to set it up myself"..... reply ...."Oh well that's what you will need to do I'm afraid, most of the initiatives we grant only go towards majority "sports" I'm afraid its a very minority thing akido is it called? (pronounced badly) isn't it?..... is that the one with the sticks!?....... or do you mean Taekwondo? isn't that punching and kicking? No I don't think so.......

I throw up my hands in despair!!

Tony