View Single Post
Old 02-21-2007, 11:01 AM   #19
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada
Re: How would aikido fare in an actual fight?

Quote:
Evan McDonald wrote: View Post
So I am curious is Aikido would be good against a person in MMA. I cant describe his actual style. He's self-taught, he says. He's quick, and kicks alot. He's tried to use some tripping techniques on me...but they're weak. In swordfighting, he can either take you out fast and early, or get beat later. So he gets tired quick. Thats really as much as I can describe. I'll ask him what style he takes.
To be honest, sparring outside the box can be fun and one can learn quite a lot about oneself from it, but it must be taken in its context and should not be seen as vindication of any super martial skill but as an expression of how well one understands and is able to apply the principles of Aikido in that format.

As said by others it matters not how Aikido works against other MA. The fact that you do Aikido has nothing to do with how you approach training in Aikido. If you train Aikido with the goal of effectively dealing with an MMA stylist like your pal then it will work for you, but only if you do what is required through your own mindset towards training and desire to truly understand the scope of abilities that can be trained in Aikido. Imho Aikido is best designed to work where one gets to step in and cut down the enemy with a clear and empty mind, as expresssed in traditional swordsmanship. The problem is that this sort of expression is very difficult to show in a sparring match or some other friendly format. It's not about fighting at all. Also, the vast majority of dojos do not train towards this end, so you will have a challenge if you plan on developing this sort of level. However I can't say that it is impossible if one approaches Aikido training with the correct mindset and has like minded people to assist along the way.

I hope you find a place with people that can help you in achieving your training goals. For now I'd say train hard, study harder and always ask questions but keep in mind how everything you learn may be applied to the situation you identified at the beginning of this thread and practice it with willing partners.

Gambatte.
LC

Last edited by L. Camejo : 02-21-2007 at 11:11 AM.

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca