View Single Post
Old 01-25-2007, 08:05 AM   #25
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Re: independent dojo/switching affiliations

Ian's point is well taken, its all about the teacher and whether they can stimulate and improve your aikido. I was at one time in an organization where I experienced that problem. Partly due to geographics, partly due to cliques/politics and partly due to concern about the technical direction I saw developing versus what other aikikai organizations were doing. As a result, I ended up teaching myself for my next 2 ranks and then left. I had too much invested to leave earlier but I was also searching for the type of instructor I felt would make it happen for me. I found that and left. I also ended up in a much smaller organization which I was part of developing. It worked nicely. I and my students are getting the guidance we need technically and now I get to help annoy those that hate structure . Sometimes you have to be very patient to find the teacher you need/want. I did and it has been a great experience. I had been working out stuff on my own a lot and the very first seminar was an AHA experience. His technical depth blew me away and it quantum jumped things I had been trying to explore on my own. Now I'm in a stage where I'm just trying to get as much of what he has to offer as fast as I can before he retires.