View Single Post
Old 04-22-2010, 09:03 PM   #12
Rob Watson
United_States
Re: Aikido For Dummies: Desperation, period.

Sweet.
I was just like you and I got what I asked for ... it hurt, a lot, and I found out that I really didn't learn very much that way (not much aikido anyway). I'm sure if you are very up front with the sensei of any dojo they will either tell you 'no thanks' or they will hand you your ass - I don't think you will learn much aikido that way either. It's possible you might but I think it will be a rarity.

A good balance of 'traditional' kata style practice so you can learn the forms with some randori and jiyukeiko will give you a good chance to 'play'. Make no mistake randori is also structured and is not a 'free for all'. Also, private lessons so you can get what you think you need on a regular basis. I think this mix will work in most any art.

The real problem is you are fit and think you can fight and probably can handle a great many aikidoka. Also your idea about stepping back and tenkan or avoidance is actually not at all the aikido I know so it does not work in the slightest. One must dominate and control totally from the first instant or it is not the aikido I know. Since you have what I consider a fatal misconception of aikido you gotta sort that out before getting to far along.

Of course, I don't know very much and I'm not very good so I'm likely completely wrong. I have made several very strong and scary fellows with evil in their hearts and vile intentions about my person cry and beg for mercy ... a bit of sankyo was involved.

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.