View Single Post
Old 02-28-2003, 09:02 AM   #75
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
My post on re-reading came out a little harsh. A few years ago I came across a "scientific study" on Ki and was astounded by the circularity of the argument. I've read a few since then and all are very similar and I've always wondered do these people really believe what they say or ...

By way of example. Breathing exercises based on Ki/Qi improve health, therefore it is proven that Ki/Qi improves health. Well no, breathing exercises improve health.

A quick search of the internet will give you an article which claims Qi alters the conformation of certain proteins. This is great news but the instruments they use for the measurements are not capable of measuring the degree of interpretation. It sounds pretty impressive on first read though.

Don't get me wrong. I run to the local acupuncturist to deal with my aches and pains. The last time I went he couldn't help me and sent me to a chiropracter. All hospitals here have an in house acupunturist and some have a herbalist, they work with modern medicine and Ki/Qi is intimately involved in what they do.

I see Ki as a way of describing the physical world much as the West used Humors. I know modern medicine can not deal with everything and even recently herbal medicines have yielded potent drugs.

About 20 years ago a very smart Biochemist who happened to be Chinese was left with a horrible dilema - his son was dying of stomach cancer and the chemo therepy wasn't doing that much good. He took his son off Western drugs and went to a herbalist. The kid was dead within two weaks - he had a slim chance with the chemo. That was real close to home - I knew the father had met the son. You don't tend to hear the other side of the coin.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido