View Single Post
Old 05-20-2018, 04:16 AM   #1
"Op_201805"
IP Hash: c92d037c
Anonymous User
Ex partners and response by the dojo

I have been at a dojo for a while. Met my partner (he's been in the aikido group much much longer) there, then broke up with my partner and we both still go to the same dojo.

There was this incident off the mat, where I basically ended up talking to the police about reporting my ex for sexual harassment / sexual assault (the police referred to it as minor case of sexual assault) - in the end they said it was useless for me to report unless he does it a couple of times... so I didn't end up reporting it officially. I was getting so nervous about training at the dojo: what would happen if he tries to train with me and I don't want to... and I became really anxious about turning up to class.

So I told my teacher. I didn't use the term sexual harassment or sexual assault - just that he touched me inappropriately and that the police couldn't do anything about it. I got told - then just don't train with him. Later I got told this is a personal matter and the dojo could help with things related to class but this is a personal thing.

I was upset enough to skip a couple of classes. I was expecting a response more like - that's fine you don't need to train with him and if something like that happens at the dojo let me know.

Was I expecting too much? I felt like I just got dismissed as someone causing trouble. I have been there for a while, so maybe I was thinking their reaction would be more similar to what a friend would say, and not what an organisationn would say. I already let other people at the dojo know because there's so much close contact in aikido...

Another high ranking instructor came recently, and talked about people are not people at training - they are just energy.... things not related to training, personality issues... they should be left off the mat. I though he looked at me when he said the last part, maybe I'm overthinking it. At the same time, I thought something like sexual assault can't get ignored and "left outside".

Having thoughts on if I should talk to my teacher again and make it clear I am talking about sexual assault.
At the same time, it seems like there is nothing I could do if I want to training there... all it seems I can do is to keep reminding everyone I hate my ex... so that he would think twice about trying something on or off the mat.