View Single Post
Old 08-09-2009, 07:47 PM   #11
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States
Re: The true purpose of Aikido?

I think what I have been discovering lately is this. All humans have a deep need for spiritual connection. That is not necessarily to equate spiritual with religious though. I used to think that one had to be religious to be spiritual. I am discovering that aikido is giving me a deeper sense of the inner spiritual being that is connected to all things in a way I had not expected.

We are also all very physical creatures. The martial aspect of aikido connects us tot his physical need to affect things and people.

Bear with me as I think out loud....
Probably not making a whole lot of sense as this is a really new set of thoughts that is percolating through. But I believe that Aikido actually helps us to connect the two sides and brings us into balance, both spiritual and martial(physical). One cannot be balanced if we focus on one side or the other. And as I have discovered in this evenings class... technique simply wont work if one focuses on one and not the other. But if the balance between the two is found we can become centered.