View Single Post
Old 06-13-2006, 02:01 AM   #9
Dirk Hanss

Dojo: Aikidoschule Trier
Germany
Re: Only Sensei teachers

If you do not learn from your partner, there is no need to have partner practice. You can do Karate-like kihon waza with imaginary uke (or nage) or use dummies.

While it is good behaviour not to chat, the one who thinks, he understood the technique, can support by demonstrating. If the other one has no clue at all, a short verbal hint might be OK, but this depends on the dojo rules.

I would never try to do anything but good ukemi, when I realise, that sensei is watching.

What if sensei is watching us and I do not recognise? Well, he steps in, corrects my partner, and my mistakes, and maybe he tells me to shut up. But my major fault i not chatting, but lack in zanshin, in the meaning of not focussing only on my partner and the technique, but the whole dojo.

Just my opinion, how I live it and what is mostly accepted by partners and sensei in different dojo. Of course, I have to adopt to the specific dojo rules, even if they are not formal. That is a part of learning aikido - feel the finest reaction and adapt your technique accordingly. I am far away from perfect, but I am going forward, step by step.

Dirk