View Single Post
Old 01-31-2009, 10:15 AM   #191
Allen Beebe
United_States
Confused Re: Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation 10

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
There is quite a lot of material written by the late Takaoka Sensei and reminiscences by and about Bansen Tanaka. I have not found much by Shirata Sensei yet, but this is because I have not had the time to look hard enough. And Google is not the only Japanese search engine...
I've run across some Takaoka sensei articles already! I haven't noticed any by Bansen Tanaka or Shirata sensei yet, but I've only just started. Do you have any other preferred Japanese search engines that you can recommend?

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
I am so glad that I bought my i-Mac... It is the top-of-the-range 24 inch screen model, with the maximum speed and the maximum available memory. My main regret is that I did not learn classical Japanese earlier.
I'm using a Mac too. (My wife converted me by sitting at her mac calmly after the fourth crash and rebuild of my PC several years ago. ) It was tops when I bought it a year and a half ago . . . but that is ancient history in computer time. I just bought a 28" monitor which I use with it in the dojo (believe it or not!)

Hey! At least you can say that you learned classical Japanese. Everyday Japanese is challenging enough for me and I've written furigana by the classical text in my Sutra books! (I tell myself it is Hoben! )

Do you use JEDict on your Mac? It doesn't replace specialized dictionaries but it is pretty powerful. Doug's suggestion of loading Rikaichan into Firefox was a boon that helped me with my inhearant laziness . . . too lazy to switch screens . . . now THAT is lazy!!!

I'm hooked . . . more late nights for me .

All the best,
Allen

(Now if Tom would finish those book shelves I could unbury my boxes of dictionaries . . . sorry Tom, couldn't help myself.)

~ Allen Beebe